Thursday, April 15, 2010

when they shine them streets

"well, i know you. i don't care for you, but i know you. and you know me, you care for me, but then again you care for everyone. i hold you in the palm of my hand because i alter you and through you i alter the universe and you spend your days and years waiting for someone to wholly shake and reshape the universe for your amusement--but people like that don't exist, and i don't exist the way you believe i do, but i am a subsititute that helps you get your fix until the next morning arrives. you crave for thunders and storms and earthquakes and fires but i can not seem to get you to understand that i can not do that for you. but i won't leave you out in the cold either. i will make you feel like you have finally gotten a piece of me. and you have. for i exist only when you are barehearted. and i don't care for you, but i know you and you know me, and i will let you in through the door you choose. you know all i offer you is a shrug, and you're ok with that. i think that's why you come back. i am a false prophet in your eyes, i am with what you differentiate your pain from that of the peasant, i am in me what makes in you worthy--hence my sole belonging to you. Days you realize it is not the case, that i may belong to someone around the corner just as likely as i to you, but you are quick to shake that thought. you look down at the child and through me pity his years to come. you know i'm not an idol, a preacher, a savior. i am just a song."

No comments:

Post a Comment