Wednesday, September 23, 2009

bird that whistles, bird that sings

So my last few days of summertime has ended.

Can't say I'm not glad, I was getting tired of the "thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season", so I'm all up for some shivering and getting soaking wet in rain and coffee that doesn't just fill up your brain with warm thoughts but also fills up your blood with, well-only warmth. You can think of a lot of things as the summer passes, flings, families, weddings; if any, deaths, fruits, friends, lines, lines, lines and songs...But me, I wasn't thinking about anything as I just laid there on a towel over the sand, with a few sweet melodies in my ears and my gigantic hat covering up my face--now pinkish from the heat--and my sunglasses hiding my one swollen eye (i have no clue what happened, but the working theory is that I got bitten by a SOB of an mosquito, sucker got me right under my eye, and i walked around looking all badass with one red-brown circle around my right eye for 2 days straight), I just sat there. You know, like Buddha or whatever. I had a million ideas pass through my head I suppose, but none really got stuck, which happens to me at times, but this time it was weird--there was this feeling of peace and carelessness as if it could all just pass me right by and I could just sit there with the breeze in my hair and my toes in the sand.

It was only a few days away but it can always do you good, I tell you. First off, there's the road. Miles and miles of these fields, and dead sunflowers, and the shrewd yellowness that just spreads its wings everywhere, cows and lambs and all that having a feast over the half dried out grass, a single horse here and there staring into the sun (i'm not kidding, I've seen at least two horses just standing in the middle of a field, not eating, not doing a thing but just staring into the sun) and good music ringing in you ears. Tangled Up In Blue is proven to be one of the greatest road songs ever. 100 songs or so of the man and you never once get bored. 3 and a half hour straight. He gets you there.

Then there's the family. Good at times and bad at the others, but effortlessly enjoyable at the end. Family brings out the food and the old jokes and the stories a thousand times told, yet told once more. And I was stuck too, before I left, among all others that I have failed and who have failed me, so this was a good escape.

There are the experiences. Like, I walked for a while--among the grass and the crazy plants and the thorns and the million times i got bitten and stung and my legs became this mutated pieces of meat, but I didn't care. I tried to get out there, sun burning the top of my head and tried to see if I had it in me. To be there. To be on the road. Did I? Silent smile, that's all I can offer you. You take it anyway you want.

The single, most amazing, surreal thing that ever happened to me. Visiting this old chapel down in the village, I tried to wind up my path backwards to see what was back there, and bam, a little far out, this donkey turned around and let out the most infuriated cry--almost a scream--and I turned around to look at it as it screamed at my face. It was an angry donkey. I had never seen an angry donkey, but this one was furious. I know it sounds stupid now, but you should have been there, you should have seen it, an acid trip mustta been something quite close to that. Angry donkey. As if the world could get any weirder. A donkey, of all.

Finally, the way back home. Ice cream melting in your mouth at 6 o'clock in the morning, sun is barely up, the morning coldness of the winter school days is definitely out there and growing, and Dylan again. Shelter Of The Storm this time. "Do I understand your question man, is it hopeless and forlorn?" I dozed off before I could get the answer.

This is getting longer for no use, it's time to wrap it up. Summer, children, the best thing about summer is the end of it. When the air gets cooler, and the sun goes down and the beach is practically deserted and Corrina, Corrina plays inside your head, and you know when you get home there's gonna be a big dinner and desert and laughters and hugs and kisses, you bite on your last slice of apple, and the world is there, and it'll be there tomorrow and all you feel bad about is having not read enough. Soon it'll be october winds and november rains and new year's eve and snow, if we're a bit lucky, and coffee spoons and chocolate cakes and school and tears and fights and gossip, and if i live to see it, who knows, there might be more.

PS: Since these songs brought out the perfect nothingness for me the on the beach, here's a list of them, in case you get to sneak out of the city for a few days and hit somewhere a bit warmer. And you wonder why my head gets so crazy, well, this is a tiny piece of a very large, disorderly puzzle.

The James Gang- Walk Away (start with something up beat, while it's still warm and the afternoon is just rolling in)

Bob Dylan- It's All Good (some dark irony always helps)

The Doors-Hyacinth House (do you really need a reason for jimmy?)

Led Zeppelin- Down By The Seaside (your head feels a bit lighter now, and it's time to slow down the beat a bit)

The Rolling Stones- Time Is On My Side (haha-i read bobby the other day talking about how the stones ripped this song from somewhere and of course had a hit with it)

Elvis Presley- That's All Right Mama (not thinking begins round now)

The Beatles-All My Loving

The Beatles-I've Just Seen A Face (I've listened to so much Beatles this past few days I feel like I have John inside my head)

Robert Johnson- Love In Vain

The Doors- I Will Never Be Untrue

Ella Fitzgerald- It's Only A Paper Moon (you're completely blank by now)

Frank Sinatra- Oh! Look At Me Now

Billie Holiday-Let's Call A Heart A Heart (oh holy emptiness)

Ella Fitzgerald- My Melancholy Baby

Joan Baez- Love Is Just A Four Letter Word (now you get a bit depressed, i don't know whether its the words or the voice, or the combination of them)

Bob Dylan/ Johnny Cash- I Still Miss Someone (the original Cash version is perfectly fine too, but honestly, when I hear the yonder one's voice, I get a feeling of familiarity--so me and Johnny, we're using him as an icebreaker)

Bob Dylan- Corrina Corrina (the perfect ending to the day--you stretch yourself out, turn you face to last few beams of the sunlight and smile for the life of yours)

No comments:

Post a Comment