Wednesday, February 10, 2010

finger on the pulse




so, as i told you earlier--i was feeling a little blue in the morning. so what i did; i made myself a new pot of tea and embraced myself by my holy trinity--good book, warm liquid, good music.

but later on a new idea sparked in my head and i realized i hadn't watched the wonderful--and the first purchased item in my long list of dylan dvds--the other side of the mirror in a while. Dylan is one lucky musician--people seem to make awesome stuff about him. I mean, obviously, with that good of material, you have to try hard to blow things, but still, everything about him--No Direction Home, I'm Not There, Don't Look Back--all are awesome productions, one way or the other.

the other side of the mirror is more on the lines of Don't Look Back, with its directness and simplicity. It's just a series of Dylan performances, from the year of 63 to the year of 65--in which he went electric (oh i'll skip that--we all know the story). There aren't any major interruptions--except a few minutes of footage of Baez and Dylan separately, surrounded by fans, and a few remarks of Dylan that would please you before and after the songs. And the very brief yet wonderful Cash version of Don't Think Twice, It's All right. Besides that, it's pretty straightforward; it shows you Dylan, and it shows you all the other people reacting to Dylan.

I hadn't really paid attention to a few of the songs before which i did this time--I still can't listen to North Country Blues though, it gets me too depressed--but other stuff like Who Killed Davey Moore and only a pawn in their game which i hadn't given their worth, i did now. then of course i listened to my all time fave version of mr.tambourine man and a few others that i just loved--then all the rest.


then i did what i usually did and stared at the young face in the screen and tried to figure out a small piece of the mystery. maybe i did. probably though i didn't. still i enjoyed myself like hell. i suggest the other side of the miror heartily to anyone who likes the Dylan world. It's a perfect place to start--a lot less personal than Pennebaker stuff, a lot less informing than Scorsese--and its simplicity may be just what a newbie needs to get involved.

enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. although I am not a big fan of Dylan as you know still ı wanna see that.

    ReplyDelete